Thursday, April 4, 2013

I need help. Like always.

My mom and Matt's mom had dinner with me last night for an extra special treat but my father in law didn't end up coming because he doesn't like fun.  Sadly, I wasn't as successful in making the curry not spicy and ended up using another can of coconut milk to settle it down.  I made a "spring" curry which was pretty tasty and is only being called "spring" curry because of the lemon I added.  I grilled some squash, mushrooms, and peppers and steamed up some spaghetti squash and broccoli for extra veggies.  Oh, how I love vegetables. 

Spring Curry

2 cans of light coconut milk
1 tbsp of soy (you can sub for fish sauce if you like nasty stuff)
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1tsp of curry powder
1tbsp of red curry paste
juice of a quarter of a lemon
salt/pepper as needed
1 tbsp of sweetener (agave, brown sugar, reg sugar) I used one packet of stevia

Lightly saute garlic and lemon juice over medium heat with the curry paste until fragrant.  About 45 seconds.  Add the rest of ingredients and increase heat to medium high.  Keep whisking until all is incorporated and let reduce while keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't boil over.  Consider it an arm workout.  Keep tasting and add salt/sugar/whatever you like.  While cooking mine I sprinkled in some ginger, a little more curry powder, and some nutritional yeast.

Things that would have been good on top if I was Martha Stewart and had thought about it before right now...chopped peanuts, cilantro, or basil. 

On the note of coconuts, my MIL brought over this Thai coconut.  Any ideas on what to do with it?  I love coconut but am not sure how to use it.  Ideas please!



My own mom brought over these and I sure as heck know what to do with them.  They even came in velvet bags so you know it's fancy.  Recipe coming up.  It takes a few days to perfect.





It was raining in Tampa this morning so we couldn't take our morning walk together.  He made a sad face because it's his favorite part of the day.  With the extra time I did get to drink my coffee on the porch as the sun came up and the rain came down which is my favorite thing to do.  Perfection.


No comments:

Post a Comment