Monday, July 1, 2013

Back to being responsible.


Friday night, Camille and I drove south to Sarasota on behalf of FCA Tampa and were able to attend the first night of a Coach's Time Out weekend which is a chance for Florida High School Coaches to get away with their spouse for a weekend at a nice hotel and reconnect.  We sat at a table with a retired Navy sailor who proposed to his wife after three dates and a football player who was in three Super Bowls and was on the Miami Dolphins perfect season.  We had a blast prying information and wisdom from them but one of my favorite parts was driving back and forth.  Camille is a gem. 


I had not been grocery shopping since we got back from our road trip.  Yup, a week and half ago.  We've been eating out A LOT and while it has been delicious, it has also been expensive.  Back to meal planning and a trip to the market.  On a very rainy Saturday, I cam home with this bounty.  Also not included in the picture are two cilantro plants I bought.  We eat way too much of it.


Ombre food!  Kale, romaine, pineapple, cauliflower, white onion, garlic, mushrooms, green onions, fresh corn, green apples, red apples, avocado, zucchini, poblano pepper, tomatoes, red bell pepper, red grapefruit, beet, red onion, eggplant

The menu this week includes 5 meals but one is for a pot luck birthday party.  The 6 apples, beet, pineapple, some of the kale, and grapefruit will be for juicing (I have two beets, lots of limes, and some ginger leftover).  I don't know why I picked up a small spaghetti squash.  And Chinese eggplant was .10 cheaper a pound this week so I got those instead, it's for an Asian dish so it should work better right?

Raw Kale Salad with creamy tahini dressing - this recipe.  

Thai Basil Eggplant and rice from here.


FromVeganGastronomy


Grilled Vegetable Salad with BBQ vinaigrette

 Zucchini Noodles with Arrabiata Chickpeas from here.

Poblano White Bean Chili

Essential Oil update.... I love getting emails.  Texts stress me out, but emails are like letters that someone probably sat down at a computer to write and wasn't bored at a stoplight or God forbid, going 75 on the interstate.  One of my students told me emails are for old people, probably like I used to tell my teachers that mailing a letter was for old people.  Color me old because I love it. 

When I get an email notification and it isn't JCrew or Piperlime...



My sweet friend Kallie sent me an email detailing some of her favorite oils, her sources, and a recipe for bug repellant.  We have some yard work to cross off our of "summer fun list" (yay?) and I won't go out there until I have my bug repellant mixed up.  My MIL (the essential oil queen) sent me an email about how they have been using peppermint oil for mosquito repellant and that's been working.  Woo to the hoo for thoughtful people who share their secrets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment